Today, we will discuss the business and, particularly, the legal landscape faced by application (App) developers dealing with mobile platforms (iOS, Android and Blackberry being dominant), including dealing with application interfaces (APIs) when developing based on existing applications, and, of course, client relationships.
I am joined today by Liz Steininger, co-founder of Tapangi Consulting and project manager in the DC Government’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer. Tapangi Consulting specializes in mobile and HTML5 application development as well as content management. Liz is also an active member of the DC Tech community and you can find her on Twitter as @liz315.
Some of the issues we discuss today are these:
- Protecting ideas in early stages of pitching to potential clients.
- Platform question: As a developer, how do you think about development based on different platform (e.g. Android or iOS or Blackberry) or a specific API?
- Copyright and “open source” issues, GPL, libraries, use of third-party code.
- Ownership and Rights Issues
- Privacy and uses of personal information (PI).
Please click here for the podcast.